A look back at the last 6 months –
Well I’m a little late in this post, but my sweet sassy toddler has definitely been keeping me on my toes! This age is so fun (even though it’s challenging) and it’s true what my friends and veteran moms say about these early years – while some things get easier, others get harder. And while many days, this season in life with Cici is so fun and relaxed, (no marathon bottle/pump washing at the end of the day, or making sure she’s breathing when she’s sleeping), it’s easy for me to get worked up over her ever-growing list of toddlerisms.
Here are some things I always want to remember from this stage:
- Since her first birthday, she learned to walk (4 days after she turned one) and literally has been unstoppable since.
- She weighs 23 pounds and is maybe 30-31″ tall now?
- She now runs, jumps (started with one foot off the ground but now small little jumps 🙂 spins, dances (even MORE than before if you can believe it!), and can tumble by herself. She also loves climbing the couch and bouncing everywhere like crazy!
- She signs “more” and “all done” regularly and is saying more and more words. Her favorites over the past few months have alternated between “me”, “baby” (her doll), “nana” (banana), “woof”, and of course “mama” and “paba”. She also loves to say ball, bubble, yaya (Lola), Lolo, choo choo (one of her two favorite books), bath, bed, bow, “meh” (milk), meow, moon, beep (when she pokes our bellybuttons lol), bag, “Mae Mae” (Mason), and down. Possibly my favorite is when she looks absolutely distraught any time Ro leaves the room and sadly says “Paba? Paaabuh???” with her brows furrowed and hands up in a questioning stance. She also tends to repeat words 2-3 times in a row (for emphasis, we’ve told ourselves 🙂
- To say she loves her doll “Baby” is an understatement. We call her doll stinky dolly because when C sucks her thumb, some of the “hair” part of the doll ends up in her mouth too, and we have to give her stuffed animals regular “baths” to get rid of that little stinky smell 🙂 It’s so cute that she’s already obsessed with her dolls, especially since she already tries to mother them by feeding and soothing them. It warms my mama heart!
- She has 12 teeth (4 top front and 4 bottom front), and apparently 4 in the back that I never knew about until she miraculously let me put my finger in her mouth the other day.
- She does this thing when I ask her to smile, she pokes her finger in her cheek without smiling haha
- Just like I figured, the days of eating anything/everything came to an end. She got really picky a few months ago, but her favorites include blueberries, corn, tomatoes, cheese, goldfish, and raisins. She won’t eat anything green unless it’s in a smoothie, but overall she still eats really well.
- As much as I try to get her to like country music, so far it just hasn’t happened. However, she LOVES hip hop something fierce! Any time Migos or Drake comes on in the car, one finger is up and her head is nodding furiously. The typical pop and Disney standards are also favorites, particularly anything Bruno Mars or JT. She also still loves reggae (rasta baby!) Her dancing is so hilarious because she is SO animated and has sweet new moves every day, but her face almost always stays serious.
- We’ve had quite a few trips and adventures in the last few months, and even more coming up. The day after Christmas, my mom, cousin and I drove down with her to Disneyland! It was absolute madness but one of my favorite Disney trips to date. We also took her to the snow for the first time, and had a little family trip to Pismo Beach/SLO. Next week, we’re taking our first long distance (plane) trip as a family of 3! We’re going to Yellowstone and I’m so excited! We’re also taking her camping for the first time later this summer.
- A the end of last year, I lost my job and it was a blessing in disguise. I had 3 glorious months off to spend with Cici and take her to play groups, classes, park dates, and just soak up the calm before full-blown toddlerhood 🙂
- While she’s always been a pretty cautious kid, her fears are becoming a bit more well-defined and recognizable. She’s pretty wary of bugs (and feathers?!) and even shakes her head and shivers if you ask her to look at one or be near one.
- She loves dogs so much that she walked right up to a husky in Baskin Robins a few weeks ago and just hugged its head before I even had a chance to wonder if the dog was mean or nice. Thank God it just licked her back – everyone in the shop couldn’t stop saying “aww” and how sweet it was 🙂
- She has been in a hitting phase lately, and I’m struggling to learn the best and most effective discipline method that works for us. I have however discovered that one of the main triggers for her hitting is asking for a hug/kiss 😦 She’s never been super cuddly which breaks my heart slightly, but she gets worked up even being asked for a hug, so I’m trying to teach myself to let her do her own thing in her own time.
- She loves to be outdoors (what kid doesn’t?) and loves to help me in the backyard. Every day when we get home, she goes straight to her tools (watering can, little shovel and trowel) and helps me water the plants and tend to the vegetables. Then we relax outside with the bubble machine, music, and some snacks. It’s the best part of my day 🙂
I’m so excited to see what the rest of this year brings, and to watch her continue to grow. She’s so so smart and she makes me so proud every single day. She cracks me up and just makes me feel so lucky – to be alive, to be a mom, to be her mom. I still can’t believe it sometimes.
Happy 18 months sweet Cici girl! ❤